Political leadership is crucial to improving national health and well-being. Health is a cornerstone of economic progress, sustainable development, democratic governance and global security. Many countries are embarking on efforts to provide universal access to health care, increase the efficiency and quality of public health services, and improve health outcomes particularly for women and children.
Even for seasoned leaders the greatest challenges can be securing sustainable financing; investing in infrastructure, equipment and human resources; and streamlining management systems needed for improving efficiency, standards of care and outcomes in public health services.
Securing the political commitment necessary for increasing domestic investment in health and achieving better health outcomes depends mainly on the leadership of the health minister together with the finance minister. Improving a nation’s health is just as crucial to the finance minister’s concern for jobs, development and economic growth as the health minister’s focus on national health indicators.
The Ministerial Leadership in Health Program provides the time and expertise for ministers to explore opportunities for an enduring impact on health sector strengthening and improved national well-being.
- Albania: The Hon. Mr. Ilir Beqaj Full Profile >>
- Angola: The Hon. Dr. José Vieira Dias Van-Dúnem Full Profile >>
- Benin: The Hon. Dr. Dorothée Kinde-Gazard Full Profile >>
- Burkina Faso: The Hon. Mr. Léné Sebgo Full Profile >>
- Cape Verde: The Hon. Dr. Cristina Fontes Lima Full Profile >>
- Malaysia: The Hon. Dr. Subramaniam Sathasivam Full Profile >>
- Senegal: The Hon. Dr. Awa Marie Coll-Seck Full Profile >>
- Swaziland: The Hon. Ms. Sibongile Ndlela-Simelane Full Profile >>
- Taiwan: The Hon. Dr. Wen-Ta Chiu Full Profile >>
- The Gambia: The Hon. Mr. Omar Sey Full Profile >>
- Uganda: The Hon. Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda Full Profile >>
- Burkina Faso: Jean Gustave Sanon Full Profile >>
- Burkina Faso: Léné Sebgo Full Profile >>
- Cape Verde: Cristina Duarte Full Profile >>
- Côte d’Ivoire: Niale Kaba Full Profile >>
- Haiti: Wilson Laleau Full Profile >>
- Honduras: Wilfredo Cerrato Full Profile >>
- Lesotho: Mamphono Khaketla Full Profile >>
- Liberia: Mounir Siaplay Full Profile >>
- Swaziland: Martin Dlamini Full Profile >>
- The Gambia: Abdou Kolley Full Profile >>
- Uganda: Maria Kiwanuka Full Profile >>
- Uganda: Ezra Suruma Full Profile >>
Finance ministers from Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America, and Southeast Asia gathered at Harvard Art Museums on April 21 to discuss links between health care and economic performance.
Read More in the Read More…
About 30 senior health and finance ministry officials from four countries selected to participate in the 2014 MLIH follow-up phase met in Pretoria, South Africa for a week-long planning and Read More…
Read the Fall Edition of the MLIH Newsletter.