The Ministerial Leadership in Health (MLIH) Program is a joint initiative of the Harvard School of Public Health and the Harvard Kennedy School in association with the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (UK) and the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation.
Based on the premise that sustainable improvement in health care delivery and outcomes is dependent on effective ministerial leadership and political commitment, the MLIH Program works with serving health and finance ministers with the goal of enhancing ministerial effectiveness, increasing health service efficiency and standards of care, and improving patient satisfaction and health outcomes. The MLIH Program combines ministerial level support with a customized process tailored to the specific needs and priorities of participating countries.
In April 2013, the Harvard School of Public Health, in partnership with the African Development Bank, launched the first Ministerial Forum for Finance Ministers. This initiative extends the MLIH Program to include serving Finance Ministers in Africa with the principal goal of enhancing innovative thinking in health financing by learning from international experience and advancing insights into health as a key component of national economic development.
- Algeria: The Hon. Dr. Abdelaziz Ziari Full Profile >>
- DRC: The Hon. Dr. Felix Kabange Numbi Full Profile >>
- Ethiopia: The Hon. Dr. Kesetebirhan Admasu Birhane Full Profile >>
- Ghana: The Hon. Ms. Hanny-Sherry Ayittey Full Profile >>
- Haiti: The Hon. Dr. Florence Guillaume Full Profile >>
- Indonesia: The Hon. Dr. Nafsiah Mboi Full Profile >>
- Lesotho: The Hon. Dr. Pinky Manamolela Full Profile >>
- Mexico: The Hon. Dr. Mercedes Juan Full Profile >>
- Myanmar: The Hon. Prof. Dr. Pe Thet Khin Full Profile >>
- Namibia: The Hon. Dr. Richard Kamwi Full Profile >>
- Sierra Leone: The Hon. Ms. Miatta Kargbo Full Profile >>
- Sri Lanka: The Hon. Mr. Maithripala Sirisena Full Profile >>
- Tanzania: The Hon. Dr. Hussein Ali Mwinyi Full Profile >>
- Tunisia: The Hon. Dr. Abdellatif Mekki Full Profile >>
Health Leader Interview with Dr. Frank Nyonator on working with successive ministers and the common institutional tension between politics and the civil service. Dr. Nyonator, was formerly the Ministerial Advisor Read More…
About 40 top-level health ministry officials from seven countries gathered in Pretoria, South Africa in mid-October for a week-long program facilitated by Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) aimed at Read More…
“If Wal-Mart can ensure that its shelves are always fully stocked, why can’t we use the same technology to streamline supply systems management in the public health sector?” a senior Read More…